Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Adoration of Jenna Fox

Mary E. Pearson
Henry Holt Co, New York, 2008

Genres: Body Self, Science Fiction, Friends and Family, Mystery
Reading Level: Young Adult (15-18)
Pages: 265

Summary:
Jenna Fox survived an accident and now she can't remember anything: Parents, friends, herself, life, nothing remains. She does remember random facts though, and this is part of the mystery. What really happened to Jenna, and why won't her family ever talk about the accident? This is a story of self discovery.

Reaction:
When I first started reading this book, I though that I already had it figured out, but as the story progressed, I found that I knew less and less about Jenna Fox. It's a rare book that truly takes me by surprise, and this one is one of them. That's why I would recommend this book, especially to older teens who are struggling to understand themselves and where they stand in the world. It deals with many serious issues that younger teens probably won't be able to grasp. I won't say that I loved this book, but I couldn't put it down until I finished it (about 4 hours).

Cautionary Note: I can't remember much, but there is some mild language, kissing, an almost rape scene, fits of anger, and lots of controversial themes. Like I mentioned earlier, I wouldn't recommend this book for anybody younger than 14 or 15, and they need to be mature.

0 comments:

Post a Comment