Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Blood Secret

Kathryn Lasky
HarperCollins, New York, 2004

Genres: Journey, Historical Fiction, Multicultural, Family, Religious
Reading Level: Young Adult (14-18)
Pages: 236

Summary:
Jerry is a 14 year old girl who hasn't spoken since her mother left her. Now she's living with her great aunt and starting to discover who and what she is. In the cellar she stumbles upon a mysterious trunk that takes her back into time, back to the Spanish Inquisition, and back to family cursed by blood.
Reaction:
I don't usually gush about most YA books because they tend to be poorly written, but this book was powerful. I loved how it made me feel and how honest it seemed. I felt like I was there, living in their shoes, suffering the same things that the characters were. The book started out slowly, and at first I thought it was going to be another partially lame book until she discovered the trunk. This book is perfect for High School age teens, in fact I would say that it is a must read. It teaches about finding yourself through your roots.

Cautionary Note: Graphic torture descriptions, and mature persecutions. I wouldn't recommend this book for teens under the age of 14.

0 comments:

Post a Comment