Saturday, May 29, 2010

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac

Gabrielle Zevin
Square Fish, New York, 2007

Genres: Family, Body Self, Love
Reading Level: Young Adult (14-18)
Pages: 271

Summary:
If Naomi had picked tails, she would have won the coin toss, and then she wouldn't have hit her head, and she wouldn't have gotten amnesia. But she did pick tails, and now her life is upside down. She can't remember anything from the last four years, and boy does that make school hard. Even worse, she can't remember her friends, her boyfriend, or even what she likes to do. This story is about self discovery and true friendship.

Reaction:
When I first read the title I was intrigued, but not extremely excited. After a few chapters, I found that I couldn't put the book down. It's similar to Adoration of Jenna Fox, but different as well. I'd have to say that this book is more realistic, and probably less controversial, but still tons of fun. It does go on quite a bit about James, her savior, but I liked the twist at the end.

Cautionary Note: Some language, especially towards the end. References to sex, drinking, and severe depression, including suicide.

0 comments:

Post a Comment