Monday, May 10, 2010

The Moves Make the Man

Bruce Brooks
HarperCollins, New York, 1984

Genres: Sports, Multicultural
Reading Level: Young Adult
Pages: 280
Awards: Newbery Honor

Summary:
Jerome Foxworthy is twelve and he loves basketball. For him there is nothing better than to spend an entire day practicing his "moves" and beating imaginary opponents. Everything seems to be going well until he starts the new school year as the only black kid in a white school, his mother get into an accident, and he meets Bix. Bix is a strange kid whose emotions sometimes run out of control. Can Jerome learn his dark secret in time to help him.

Reaction:
I loved this book from the very start. When I first read the cover I was worried that it would all be about sports, but I found that sports took a minor role in the overall story. This story goes into the inner workings of an ordinary family without dwelling overmuch on racial profiles. I also liked the relationship the developed between Jerome and Bix. I would recommend this book as a good read that has the possibility of inspiring some deeper thought.

Cautionary Note: I can't remember, but it seems there might be some language. Bix explodes and has some minor episodes of anger. There is also some mild racism. One scene also has some mutilation of flesh.

0 comments:

Post a Comment